Insphero_Teaser

Should Organovo Investors be Worried About Insphero?

Several months ago, we published an article titled "Organs-on-Chips: An Alternative to 3D Bioprinting?" in which we speculated that 3D Bioprinting small samples of organ tissues to use for drug testing could be displaced by organs-on-chips. Organovo (NYSEMKT:ONVO), the only publicly traded 3D Bioprinting company, commands a market cap of over $500 million with just minuscule revenues because investors believe that 3D Bioprinted tissues will disrupt the drug testing industry when products are finally commercialized. While Organovo scientists have a +$40 million cash stockpile to use for R&D, they may not have much time. One little known Swiss startup company, Insphero, claims to be "the world leader in 3D cell culture technology for safety and efficacy testing" and has commercialized 3D InSightTM Liver Microtissues.     About A spin-off company of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology [...]

Desalination_Teaser

Investing in Desalination Companies

Fresh water is often talked about as being "the next gold", and for good reason. 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water. 70% of that fresh water is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland and < 1% of the world's fresh water is accessible for direct human use. With agriculture being responsible for 87 % of the total water used globally, about one-third of the world's population lives in countries that are experiencing water stress. This begs the question, how can we turn salt water into fresh water? The process of turning salt water into fresh water is called "desalination" and over 16,000 desalination plants have now been built worldwide: With such a huge number of desalination plants being built, the question is where are they located? The below chart shows the distribution of desalination plants by country: So just which companies are involved in [...]

Insphero_Teaser

Should Organovo Investors be Worried About Insphero?

Several months ago, we published an article titled "Organs-on-Chips: An Alternative to 3D Bioprinting?" in which we speculated that 3D Bioprinting small samples of organ tissues to use for drug testing could be displaced by organs-on-chips. Organovo (NYSEMKT:ONVO), the only publicly traded 3D Bioprinting company, commands a market cap of over $500 million with just minuscule revenues because investors believe that 3D Bioprinted tissues will disrupt the drug testing industry when products are finally commercialized. While Organovo scientists have a +$40 million cash stockpile to use for R&D, they may not have much time. One little known Swiss startup company, Insphero, claims to be "the world leader in 3D cell culture technology for safety and efficacy testing" and has commercialized 3D InSightTM Liver Microtissues.     About A spin-off company of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology [...]

D.Light_Teaser

D.Light Solar: Making the World a Brighter Place

Social responsible investing (SRI) is any investing strategy that looks to maximize financial return and social good. Maximizing social good often involves targeting the less fortunate in this world and can be very lucrative. "Sell to the poor and live with the rich" as the saying goes. One startup company that epitomizes this investment thesis by making products that use renewable energy and better the lives of the less fortunate is D.Light Solar.       About D.Light Founded in 2007, D.Light was the brainchild of two Stanford MBA students, Sam Goldman and Ned Tozun, both of who were recognized by Forbes as two of the world's top-30 social entrepreneurs. The company's goal is to empower the 2.3 billion people in this world who do not have access to reliable electricity. The CEO, Donn Tice, used to be the CEO of Nano-Tex from 2003-2006, that nano textiles company that made the cool [...]

REFR_Teaser

Investing in Smart Glass with Research Frontiers

In a recent article we discussed the rapidly growing smart glass market with a forecasted compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of +20% over the next 6 years which is expected to reach $5.8 billion by 2020. While the company discussed in our previous article, View Inc., seems to be taking on building applications with their "dynamic glass", another company, Research Frontiers, seems to be taking on transportation applications with their nano-enabled "SPD-SmartGlass".         Research Frontiers offers a nano-enabled smart glass product called SPD-SmartGlass. In 1986, Research Frontiers (NASDAQ:REFR) debuted their IPO and to-date performance has been dismal with shares returning -3% compared to an over +1000% increase in the NASDAQ over the same time frame. REFR claims to have over 40 companies that have licensed their SPD-SmartGlass technology including most of the world's [...]

Lastest Articles

Desalination_Teaser

Investing in Desalination Companies

Fresh water is often talked about as being "the next gold", and for good reason. 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water. 70% of that fresh water is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland and < 1% of the world's fresh water [...]

FDA_Approval_Teaser

The FDA Drug Approval Process Simply Explained

In reviewing drug development companies, investors often come across terminology such as "Phase 2 clinical trials" or "filing of an IND application". The entire process can be quite confusing and it is important to understand the specific phases that a new drug needs to go [...]

Lux_Nanotech_Teaser

A Closer Look at 3 Lux Nanotech Companies

In a recent article, we examined the constituents of the Lux Nanotech Index in an attempt to determine why the overall index performed so poorly, and more importantly try to determine if any of the "nanotech" companies in the index merit a second look today. Our last article [...]