A List of 57 Marijuana Stocks to Invest In – Or Not
Marijuana stocks have been on a tear lately, which may explain why our recent articles on Canopy Growth Corp (CGC) and Aphria (APH) have been some of the most popular so far this year. There’s clearly some “there” there and since we exist to serve the interests of our readers, we decided to get it all out there and put together a comprehensive list of marijuana stocks for you all to pore over. We’re going to preface this by saying just because any stock made it to this list does not mean that a) you should invest in it or b) it has anything to do with marijuana whatsoever.
This list of marijuana stocks we’ve put together is largely based on the “weed index” that Bloomberg put together last year. (Note that no respectable index provider would ever, EVER include an over-the-counter (OTC) stock in an index which is why you need to visualize some serious air quotes when we say “weed index”.) We just want to get that list out there so everyone can see all the names in one place and we can continue adding to it. We’ve already warned you against investing in marijuana stocks, and then we warned you yet again just in case you weren’t paying attention the first time. Without further ado, here is a list of all the marijuana stocks that we could find with a market cap cutoff of $5 million (all numbers expressed in USD).
A List of 57 Marijuana Stocks
|Company||Ticker||Share Price||Cap (USD)||Focus||Country|
|GW Pharmaceuticals||NASDAQ:GWPH||134||3430||Cannabinoid Drug||U.K.|
|Arena Pharmaceuticals||NASDAQ:ARNA||1.64||406||Cannabinoid Drug||USA|
|Axim Biotechnologies||OTCMKTS:AXIM||3.7||150||Cannabinoid Drug||USA|
|Cannabis Science||OTCMKTS:CBIS||0.046||97||Cannabinoid Drug||USA|
|Cannabics Pharmaceuticals||OTCMKTS:CNBX||0.78||79||Cannabinoid Drug||USA|
|CV Sciences||OTCMKTS:CVSI||0.43||26||Cannabinoid Drug||USA|
|Vitality Biopharma||OTCMKTS: VBIO||1.43||17||Cannabinoid Drug||USA|
|InMed Pharmaceuticals||OTCMKTS:IMLFF||0.12||6||Cannabinoid Drug||Canada|
|Medical Marijuana Inc.||OTCMKTS:MJNA||0.13||460||Holding Company||USA|
|United Cannabis||OTCMKTS:CNAB||1.7||79||Holding Company||USA|
|Terra Tech Corp||OTCMKTS:TRTC||0.42||217||Infrastructure||USA|
|Bud Genius||OTCMKTS:RIGH||0.0002||6||Laboratory Testing||USA|
|Freedom Leaf Inc.||OTCMKTS:FRLF||0.15||14||Media||USA|
|Nutritional High International||CNSX:EAT||0.25||36||Neutraceuticals||Canada|
|Naturally Splendid Enterprises||CVE:NSP||0.38||24||Neutraceuticals||Canada|
|Earth Science Tech||OTCMKTS:ETST||0.41||17||Neutraceuticals||USA|
|22nd Century Group||NYSEMKT:XXII||1.19||112||Plant Biotech||USA|
|Emerald Health Therapeutics||CVE:EMH||0.86||55||Production||Canada|
|Golden Leaf Holdings||CNSX:GLH||0.31||26||Production||Canada|
|Zoned Properties Inc.||OTCMKTS:ZDPY||2.3||44||Property||USA|
|Cannagrow Holdings||OTCMKTS:CGRW||1.75||178||Various Services||USA|
|Cannabis Sativa||OTCMKTS:CBDS||5.93||108||Various Services||USA|
|American Cannabis||OTCMKTS:AMMJ||1.18||77||Various Services||USA|
|General Cannabis Corp||OTCMKTS:CANN||4.26||77||Various Services||USA|
|Rocky Mountain High||OTCMKTS:RMHB||0.04||27||Various Services||USA|
|GrowBlox Sciences||OTCMKTS:GBLX||0.38||23||Various Services||USA|
|American Green||OTCMKTS:ERBB||0.0018||13||Various Services||USA|
|Agritek Holdings||OTCMKTS:AGTK||0.04||12||Various Services||USA|
|Hemp Inc||OTCMKTS:HEMP||0.031||10||Various Services||USA|
|STWC Holdings||OTCMKTS:STWC||0.37||10||Various Services||USA|
|Tetra Bio-Pharma||CNSX:TBP||0.15||8||Various Services||Canada|
|Med-Cannabis Pharma||OTCMKTS:MCPI||0.13||7||Various Services||USA|
This turned out to be quite the task. We saw companies changing their names to avoid the backlash of investors who lost their shorts investing in pipe dreams. We saw plenty of addresses in Florida and Nevada (favored places for pump and dump stocks). We saw everything from software companies to mining companies that suddenly decided their core competency was working with marijuana. We saw many companies with market caps so low that your house is probably worth more. We saw quite a few “if and when we get a license we’ll become a producer” business models. In general, we saw a lot of over-the-counter OTC trash that sophisticated institutional investors wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole and neither should you. So, now that we’ve got our list of 55 marijuana stocks published for everyone to see, let’s make a few observations here.
- The legitimate plays here seem to be the Canadian growers like APH and CGC that are actually growing and selling a lot of weed. That’s what this opportunity is all about.
- The major players in the USA seem to be private companies that aren’t reflected in the above list
- Many of the companies traded on major Canadian exchanges also have an ADR on the OTC market. Essentially this means that as a U.S. investor, you can buy shares in Canadian companies via the OTC market. Examples include PharmaCan (OTCMKTS:PRMCF), Aphria (OTCMKTS:APHQF), Canopy Growth Corp (OTCMKTS:TWMJF), Aurora Cannabis (OTCMKTS:ACBFF), Organigram Holdings (OTCMKTS:OGRMF), Mettrum Health (OTCMKTS:MQTRF), Supreme Pharmaceuticals (OTCMKTS:SPRWF), and Golden Leaf Holdings (OTCMKTS:GLDFF).
- There is a lot of garbage out there
Now that we have our list, let’s take a look at the various types of stocks in that list.
Marijuana Stock Industry Sectors
Let’s remember that the compelling investment thesis here is that when marijuana becomes legal everywhere, it will be consumed in much the same way alcohol is. Alcohol is an industry worth upwards of $200 billion in the United States alone. That’s why there is so much interest in marijuana stocks. In the same article that Bloomberg presented their “marijuana stock index” they also attempted to dissect the “industry” into a distinct number of areas as seen below:
In looking at this list, we find some of these categories more compelling than others. Pharma is just not that interesting to us because cannabinoids have been around for a long time. It’s hard to believe that suddenly the legality of marijuana will uncover all these magical properties of weed. Producer and consumer are the areas we’d be most interested in digging into because that is where the real money is at. Just look at CGC and APH. The other like real estate, consulting, and infrastructure are probably already covered by companies that have been doing this sort of stuff for years.
Key Takeaways for Marijuana Stock Investors
- Remember back in the day when someone would tell you he could get good dank green buds for $50 a bag and then the guy would show up with some Mexican brick weed instead? Investing in over-the-counter (OTC) stocks is kind of like that. Invest in any of the U.S. based OTC stocks above at your own peril. Diversification will not help much either.
- Canadian growers like CGC and APH have had great runs. If you buy shares today and you lose 50% of your investment on a pull back, you should see it as a buying opportunity. We’re investors, not speculators. When building a position you should use dollar cost averaging.
- As we pointed out before, there is a huge investment being made in private marijuana startups by venture capitalists (VCs) like Peter Thiel. These VCs know there is strong demand for marijuana stocks from retail investors (many who are also consumers). Expect to see an IPO sooner rather than later.
- Sign up for our newsletter. In the coming weeks we’re going to cover a cannabinoid IPO and a marijuana REIT.
If you pay more than $4.95 a trade, you're paying too much. Ally Invest is one of the lowest-fee brokers around so you spend less money on transaction fees and more on stocks. With more than 30 trades a quarter it drops even lower to $3.95 a trade. Open an account and begin trading today.